Pumps require a form of mechanical seal, these seals will eventually break down and leak. Determining the point of failure is achieved by routine monitoring of the seal. Seal leak can be tolerated by directing the fluid into a recovery system by use of a drain line that directs the fluid into a storage container. However, there is instrumentation that can be used for leak detection.
How is it determined when the leak is occurring and to what degree? The CLASSIC 800 Series Flow, Level, Interface, and Temperature Switch and Transmitter from Kayden will help you determine whether or not to shut down the pump or send out a maintenance crew to service the mechanical seal.
Leak Detection with Kayden CLASSIC 800 Series Switches
A common “Pipeline Leak Detection” setup for No Flow Condition, Pump Protection:
- Staff can monitor the storage container and recover the leaked fluid, however, the storage container will quickly be overwhelmed if the seal fails and floods the recovery system
- Monitor inside the drain to detect if there is a fluid present and if so inform the relevant party
- Monitor the liquid level in the drain pipe while monitoring the flow rate. It is now possible to choose both an alarm point and a shut-down point using the Kayden CLASSIC 800 Series
For Leak Detection, We Recommend the CLASSIC 812 Flanged Model
- Flanged Process Connections – 316/316L Stainless Steel sensor standard
- Exotic Alloys, Custom ‘U’ Lengths and Remote Mounted Electronics Available
- Digital Microprocessor Technology – Settings configurable by user for Flow, Level, Interface, and Temperature Sensing
- No Jumpers – All Configurable Options are stored in Non-Volatile Memory
- FM Explosion-proof Class I, Div. 1, Groups B, C & D (Hazardous Area Approval)
- CSA/ANSI UL Flameproof Class I, Div. 1, Groups B, C & D
- 316/316L Stainless Steel & Exotic Alloy versions designed to ASME Section VIII Div. 1 2007 Latest Addenda and/or to be inserted in system complying with ASME/ANSI B31.3-2006 +2007 Addenda. Canadian Registration Number (CRN): 0F09437.2
- Download Data Sheet for Kayden CLASSIC 812